CALCULATION RELATING TO THE MEASUREMENT
1. For the accomplishment of the object held in view, I how again and again with true earnestness to the most excellent Siddhas who have realized the knowledge of all things.
Hereafter we shall expound the sixth variety of calculation forming the subject known by the name of the Measurement of Areas. And that is as follows:
2. (The measurement of) area has been talking to be of two kinds by Jina in accordance with (tho nature of the result, namely, that which is approximate) for practical purposes and that which is minutely accurate. Taking this into consideration, I shall clearly explain this subject.
3. (Mathematical) teachers, who have reached the other shore of the ocean of calculation, have given out well (the various kinds of) areas as consisting of those that are trilateral, quadrilateral and curvi-linear, being differentiated into their respective varieties.
4. A trilateral area is differentiated in three waye; a quadrilateral one in five ways; and a curvi-linear one in eightways. All the remaining (kinds of) areas are indeed variations of the varieties of these (different kinds of areas).
5. Learned men say that the trilateral area may be equilateral, isosceles or scalene, and that the quadrilateral area also may be
5 and 6. The various kinds of enclosed areas mentioned in these stanzas are illustrated below :
|Samatribhuja = Equilateral
|Visāmatribhuja = Isoceles
|Viṣamatribhuja = Scalene|